I have mentioned the importance of foam rolling in this blog post. Therefore, I wanted to share an upper body foam rolling routine. This routine is great to reduce soreness and tension from workouts or from sitting at a desk all day. Foam rolling is like a great message without having paying a cent.
Remember when foam rolling, slow down, relax, and breath. Before each step in the routine, I recommend holding for a few seconds, feeling the pressure of the body against the foam roller. Also do the same for any tender spots found during rolling.
1. Lower Back: Place the foam roller right beneath the hips and hold on to it so that it doesn’t slide out from underneath. Sit there for a second. Then bring arms to the side of the body for balance and bring the knees up, so that they are perpendicular to the ground. Roll gently from side to side. Hitting the tailbone, secrum, and upper glute area. Lean over to one side and stay there for a few seconds and repeat onto the other side.
2. Middle Back: Place the foam roller down to the middle of the back. Bring hands to the side of the head, and sit there for a few seconds. Interlace the hand on the back of your head, bring the hips up and roll the foam roller up and down the back. Roll over slightly to one side, roll, and same for the other.
3. Upper Back: Focus a bit more on the lower trap,turn the foam roller vertically, and lay on it directly. Place hands on the ground for balance. Then make small rolls side to side, leaning into the roller in order to hit the deeper area of the upper, middle part of the back.
4. Shoulders: Turn the foam roller again horizontally, and place over the back, and walk the feet out, till the hips are on the ground. The foam roll should be right, above the shoulder blades. Spread your arms along the side of the head, and roll from side to side. Also move the arms up and down or moving arms if like doing a snow angel.
5. Neck: Place the foam roll behind the neck, look side to side slowly, moving the neck against the roller. Be careful here, because it is delicate area.
6. Lat Muscle (Entire Back): Flipping the body over the side, place the foam roller underneath the armpit, arms above, hips on the ground, and do little rolls vertically. Also, roll slightly body back and forwards, but not onto the ribs. Then do the other side of the body.
7. Chest and Front Shoulder: Place the foam roller at a 45 degree angle, place the between the chest and shoulder blade, body laying on the ground, and begin to roll. Also bring feet up for balance and roll back and forwards, applying pressure where needed. Then do the other side of the body.